Translate

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Annual Campout Cancellation

It has been the tradition of the last 6... Holy cow, 7!!! years that my college buddies and I meet for our annual campout. Normally it's nothing special- Just driving down to Wilson Lake in the middle of Kansas and enjoy a weekend of grilling, fishing, roasting, and campfire talk. It's so relaxing even though it always rains. Once we decided to get fancy and drove to Santa Fe, where one of us was participating in an internship and we camped in the mountains.
Sadly, this year I have neither the funds or the time to get back to Kansas. We exhausted every option searching for a way to keep the magic going another year- I fly into Denver, we camp the Rockies. I fly into KC, we camp the Ozarks. I fly into Cheyanne, we camp... in a field. Some were more desirable than others. But try as we might, we just couldn't make it work- sorry Tim Gun!

So now you're asking yourself, why do I care? How could she possibly think this would be interesting to her readers?! STOP WASTING OUR TIME! Well calm down everybody! Geez, I'm getting there.

In all my research, I came across some pretty amazing camping locations! Today, I'm going to share my top 5 from my research. I had never even heard of a few of these.
1.  Lake McConaughy, Nebraska- From what I've read, I'd say that Eagle Canyon Hideaway is the best area to camp. It's tucked away on the south side of the lake. The place is the cleanest, friendliest, great food, and cute log cabins according to the reviews. But it was the pictures that won me over!
2. Dry Tortugas National Park, Florida- I had read an article on this place months ago and thought it sounded amazing. Now the more research I've done, the more I can't wait to see it for myself. Few visitors to Key West take the ferry 70 miles to the Dry Tortugas National Park. Even fewer camp under the stars next to historic Fort Jefferson. Those who do are rewarded with world-class snorkeling, kayaking, wildlife watching and an island almost all to themselves.

3. Limekiln State Park, New York-  The park features breataking views of the Big Sur Coast, the beauty of the redwoods, the rugged coast and the cultural history of limekilns. The park has 28 campsites. Hike half a mile through fragrant redwoods to four kiln towers, adjacent by a stream.
4. Ouray, Colorado- I've camped here before. The local KOA is a great option, but so are any of the area's campgrounds. If you're looking for action and adventure this is the area for you. Take a jeep off-roading on some of the coolest trails ever. If the season is right you can even cross right over the mountains and into Telluride. I did that once... scared the crap out of me! I actually made my dad let me out so I could walk part of the way- Did I mention I hate hights?
5. Jenny Lake Campground, Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming- The Grand Tetons are some of the most beautiful landscapes the Rockies ever shaped and Jenny Lake is the best place to see them! Pitch a tent near the lake at the base of the Teton Range and close to Yellowstone National Park. Take the short, shaded uphill hike to 200-foot Hidden Falls.

Yet after all this research I still can't go camping... I'll probably suffer some major withdrawl. Look out everyone!
Happy Travels
~Greet

No comments:

Post a Comment